Music. Is there anything more unifying yet dividing at the same time? There’s nothing that gets me through a tough workday, or workweek than a solid playlist (okay, okay, the return of pumpkin spice lattes definitely helps too).
Here’s what I’m listening to this week:
1. “All of Me” by John Legend– clean and simple, yet excruciatingly beautiful. Legend’s piercing vocals, piano chords and lyrics of loving all your curves and edges and all of your perfect imperfections make for a perfect love song without all the sugary sweetness that so many tracks of the genre fall danger to. It’s so heartfelt that I had tears in my eyes the first time I heard it. I can’t imagine the blubbering mess his fiance Chrissy Teigen must have been (the song was written for her). P.S. It’s even more beautiful live.
2. “For the First Time” by John Legend – yes, John Legend again. So stripped down, so heartfelt and it’s definitely my other favorite off his new album, Love in the Future. Simple vocals and the piano highlight this one again and while the lyrics may be a little cliched at times (it’s like I can love, it’s like I can breath, it’s like I can love, for the first time) Legend’s voice is so earnest you don’t really care. Plus once you hear what the inspiration for the track was, it’s hard not to fall for it.
3. “Counting Stars” by One Republic – the chorus on this is damn catchy that I catch myself tapping my foot against my chair, effectively annoying the crap out of my coworkers… whoops!
4. “Full Time Believer” by Robin Thicke – I miss you, pre-Miley Cyrus Robin. Come back soon, okay? This is my Monday (in this case Tuesday) kick-off the work-week in style track.
5. “Crooked Smile by J. Cole featuring TLC – “No need to fix what God already put his paintbrush on.” Thank you J. Cole, because these are some of the best lyrics I’ve heard in a rap song for quite a while. I’ve been pretty jaded with the current crop of new rappers, but J. Cole is restoring my faith a bit. Because with lyrics like this – Drop that ass make it boomerang/Take my belt off bitch I’m Pootie Tang/Tippy tow tippy tay you gonna get a tip today – (sorry Big Sean, but no thanks!) it’s been a while since I’ve been excited about rap.
What’s keeping your ears entertained lately?